The air was cool this morning – just 58 degrees, even though this afternoon it’s up to 80.
And the neighbors were raking some fallen leaves outside. Little reminders that summer is winding down and fall is waiting in the wings.
Nature naturally renews itself at regular intervals, so it’s a smart move to follow her lead and take some extra steps for renewing yourself this time of year.
There are so many pleasurable ways to do this.
For starters, it’s always a good idea to think about everything you wanted to do this summer, and if you haven’t done them, move them right up on your agenda.
Walk in nature, dine alfresco, watch a sunrise or sunset, walk along a beach, have a picnic, throw a Frisbee…there are so many additional enjoyments still to be had before the leaves turn.
But in terms of health and beauty, it’s nice to face fall looking and feeling fresh. Here are some ideas for you about that:
- Schedule a haircut and/or color or nourishing treatment to restore shine and repair damage from the sun, salt and sweat. A subtle tweak in tone can make you feel like you’re starting a new chapter, whether it’s a step lighter or darker or just some highlights here and there.
- Treat yourself to a professional manicure and pedicure. Not only will it remove all the rough edges of the warmer months, it will reinforce the change of season to help you make the most of time passing. Pumpkin is a great transitional color that works well on all skin tones.
- Do a multi-step at-home facial where you use acids, masks, cleaners and/or scrubs. By taking some time with it you’ll feel pampered, and the extra steps will remove dead skin to leave you glowy-faced for fall. I just did one using my at-home microdermabrasion machine and wow my skin is so much smoother now. I think I removed 50 layers of sunblock.
- Make a list of your fall desires – what appeals to you? Do you see yourself getting away for a leaf-changing weekend, rocking a long tweed skirt or new pair of moto boots, hitting up the art museum with a friend? By visualizing elements of your ideal fall you’re much more likely to actually live them.
- Nourish your body with some nutritious fall recipes – it can be soups, casseroles (comfort goodness) or probiotic-rich fermented vegetables. Your body knows the seasons are changing so why not show her some love?
Wishing you a lovely summer send-off and cheers to your best fall yet.
Barbara Wayman, APR